The Y at Columbia Secondary School SONYC After School Program
The Y's SONYC program at Columbia Secondary School aims to foster deep partnerships between faculty, families, and students in order to enhance student character, leadership qualities, and creativity. By embracing our participants ability to explore their world, they discover passions and learn to strengthen their community. Through a diverse selection of program offerings that follow a Project Based Learning format, participants will be able to explore and showcase their discoveries.
The program supports enrichment learning in STEM and Literacy, leadership development, the arts, physical fitness and healthy living, academic support and more through a program that offers each week:
Academic support that includes Homework Help, Small Group Tutoring,
- Math and Language Skills enrichment and College Preparation programming that all 7th grade participants take part in.
- Project-based explorations in which students apply and expand upon STEM-related concepts being taught during the school day (Enrichment / STEM).
- Social-emotional learning and academic excellence through activities that support the full range of students' growth and development, including autonomy and independence, sense of purpose, and problem solving, which are indicators of personal and academic success, as well as empowering leadership and independent thinking (Leadership Development).
- Project-based arts classes, such as photography, animation, life drawing, and graphic arts (Enrichment / Arts).
- Physical fitness and healthy living instruction that includes CHAMPS, a physical education program that offers both traditional and non-traditional sports and fitness activities for middle school students; and an Aquatics program that provides swim instruction (Physical Fitness / Healthy Living).
Past Enrollment Packets: